Wednesday, March 7, 2012

1960’s Baby – Christina Haramis Charalambous - My autobiography-Chapter 4 – Greece December 1968

Puzzle Pieces

1960’s Baby – Christina Haramis Charalambous - My autobiography-Chapter 4 – Greece December 1968


In Cairo I have the most wonderful and pleasant memory of staying with my “mummy’s” brother and his family. Uncle Michelle as he was fondly known, aunty Marigoula, cousin Deppy and Costa who now is fondly known as the “pilot”

I do not have any memories of the airport in Cairo, nor our flight to Greece. However I do remember very fondly arriving at my aunt Helen’s home. I remembered her from Egypt when she stayed in Port-Fuad and I used to visit her. Walking into her apartment in Athens was like walking in my home. We were received with so much warmth and love. I remember my cousin Zoe and Lysandro. Zoe stood out for me as I thought she was so beautiful and so much full of life. Lysandro in my memory was like a hippie. He had a guitar and he strummed on it, and I remember the sing along.

I enjoyed the train rides, the Acropolis, feeding the pigeons at the memorial site of the “unknown soldier”.  I loved the “Tsoliades” the guards dressed in their traditional costumes. I was struck by the beautiful city, shops, and the smell of; “kastana’ chestnuts cooking on the side of the streets and eating them out of a triangle shaped pocket made of paper.  I remember the Christmas Street Decorations in the streets and the shops and in every single window. I felt I was on a movie set.

One of the memories I have at the park is the long curly slides.  I just wanted to go on and slide down over, and over, and over again. I remember the disappointment I felt when we left the park.  

I was introduced to so many family members. It was the first time that I did not have to speak Italian to any family members. It was the festive season of Christmas and I enjoyed the Greek Carols and spirit of celebration. I remember going out on New Year’s Eve to family and walking back to my aunt’s house singing at the top of our voices; a very vivid happy time.

I also remember, feeling the anticipation, the butterflies in my stomach of what was coming our way once we left Greece and ventured out into the South of Africa, to South Africa, the land of Gold, the wild life, the beasts of nature. One happy feeling I remember is that I did not have to do Arabic at school.  Little did I know that I would have to learn English and Afrikaans!

We said our goodbyes, boarded South African Airways, tied our belts and flew south. My hands folded in my lap; I prayed and trusted that God would take care of us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment